The implementation of the project “Aqua-lity” involves the following corporate scheme:
• Lead Partner – Municipality of Oreokastro
• Partner 2 – Dimitrovgrad Municipality
Municipality of Oraiokastro (LB): Site
The Municipality of Oraiokastro is a municipality of the Region of Central Macedonia established by the Kallikratis Program. It resulted from the merging of the pre-existing municipalities of Oraiokastro, Mygdonia and Kallithea. The area of the new Municipality is 217,78 sq. Km and the population of 38,317 inhabitants according to the 2011 census (25,183 inhabitants according to the 2001 census). Its headquarters are Oreokastro, 11 km north of Thessaloniki. In an amphitheatrical location with an average altitude of 250m. and at a distance of 12 kilometers from the center of Thessaloniki, the Municipality of Oraiokastro includes in its administrative boundaries the settlements of Oraiokastro, Paleokastra, Galini, Asprovrisi, Pefki, Paradisos, Filothei and Amfithea. The seat of the Municipality is located in the settlement of Oraiokastro where it is the largest.
Oraiokastro is a Municipality with rapid population and residential development, which, with the care of the local Municipal Authority, is carried out in terms of quality and absolute respect for man and the environment. It is indicative that in just a decade the population of Oraiokastro more than doubled and out of the 5,500 inhabitants numbered by the municipality, in the 2001 census it reached 12,000 inhabitants. In any case, the actual population of Oraiokastro is estimated to be over 30,000 today. Apart from the population, on the other hand, the area of Oraiokastro is more than doubled, as with the new General Urban Plan, which is still a conquest of the Municipal Authority guaranteeing local development, an area of 4,217 acres was included in the city plan.
Having made a progress, Oraiokastro is today a modern and dynamic city, which provides almost all services to residents and visitors. In addition to well-organized basic infrastructure, Oraiokastro has the following facilities: administration (City Hall, Public Services, Public Services), education, sports (mass sport programs, child and sea program, “Baths in the Third Age” program, Kondopouloui Municipal Gymnasium “, Olympic Swimming Pool, Football Stadium, Tennis Courts, 5×5 Fields, Open Basketball Fields), Social Policy (Municipal Bank of Blood, Social Welfare Unit, KAPI, Job Search Office Parents ‘School, Parents’ Support Scheme, First Aid Courses, IKA Polycrystal), Culture (active Cultural Organization, Art groups, theater group, Philharmonic Orchestra, Folklore Museum – under creation, multifaceted cultural and sports center – under construction) as well as a number of medical and credit institutions as well as hotel groups. (Municipal Kindergartens, organized and continuously renewed primary and secondary schools, Vocational Training and Apprenticeship Schools, Adult Education Centers, Municipal Library, Dance and Music Schools).
Dimitrovgrad Municipality (PB2): Site
Dimitrovgrad (Bulgarian: Dimitrovgrad) is a city in the province of Haskovo in Bulgaria. It is located along the Maritsa River in the Thrace region, near the provincial capital, Haskovo. Dimitrovgrad had a population of 38,015 according to a census made in 2011.The city of Dimitrovgrad, founded in 1947, is a city built from the People’s Republic of Bulgaria after the Second World War. The newly established Communist government designed the city as a socialist city model and a modern industrial center. It took its name from the Communist leader of Bulgaria, Georgi Dimitrov.
The population of Dimitrovgrad in the first decade after its establishment was on average about 34,000. In the coming decades, it began to rise, mainly due to migrants from rural areas, reaching the peak between 1985 and 1992, reaching about 50,000 inhabitants. Since then, especially during the 1990s, the population has fallen sharply due to the poor economic situation in the region that has led to a new migration to the capital of the country Sofia and abroad
Demetrovgrad was created by the People’s Republic of Bulgaria, the Communist state that took over after World War II.
The construction of the city began on 10 May 1947, with most of the work being provided by volunteers arriving from all over Bulgaria. The founding of Dimitrovgrad was officially announced on 2 September 1947 by the leader of the People’s Republic of Bulgaria, Georgi Dimitrov. The three villages of Rakovski, Mariyno and Chernokonyovo merged to form Dimitrovgrad. The construction of the city continued intensively for several years.
The main practical reason behind the new city was the creation of a modern industrial center for Bulgaria. There was also an ideological background for its construction. The widespread destruction in Eastern Europe caused by the Second World War and the rise of the Soviet Communist states in the region (known as the Eastern Bloc) led to many cities that were built or rebuilt using new styles of socialist planning. The original buildings of Dimitrovgrad were built with architectural styles, known as the “Soviet Empire” or “Stalin Baroque”, with facades of the first monuments, with bricks, large columns and small ornamental balconies. Over time, as the city expanded, buildings were built that were characterized by lesser decoration in the newest modernist architectural style.
In 1970 the first feast of the national festival of poetry “Penio Penev” was held and this tradition continues until today. In 1980 the Bulgarian theatrical poster was held for the first time. In 1987 the Penio Penev Museum opened.
In 1992, shortly after the collapse of Communism in Bulgaria, Georgi Dimitrov’s memorial was removed from the authorities. This move proved to be very popular with local residents and in 2012 Dimitrovgrad City Council adopted a plan to restore the statue and rebuild it by 2013. So far it has not happened.